River City Christian is a group of people who believe in Jesus and who try to follow the teachings of the Bible. While we strive to be relevant to our culture, our message does not change — Jesus is the hope of the world!
Our church was formerly known as First Covenant Church. We are a part of the Evangelical Covenant Church of America. Our congregation has been in existence for over 100 years, founded by Swedish immigrants to the Sacramento area. We desire to reach our city and our world with the Good News of Jesus Christ. We seek to do this through acts of service and by sharing His truth in loving and respectful ways.
The purpose of River City Christian is to be a Mission Station: to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with every person everywhere and to grow and equip believers into fully devoted followers of Christ.
River City Christian is a faith community committed to the core values that are consistently emphasized in the Bible:
- WORSHIP: Showing love and devotion to the God of the Universe and to His Son Jesus Christ
- DISCIPLESHIP: Submitting more and more of our daily lives to the teachings of Jesus
- FELLOWSHIP: Growing in commitment and love with other believers
- EVANGELISM: Sharing the Good News of Jesus with others who have not yet believed
- SERVICE: Using our gifts, resources and time in the name of Jesus to benefit others
Our church constitution includes this Confession of Faith:
This church is an organization and fellowship of Christians who confess personal faith in Jesus Christ. We believe in the Holy Scriptures, the Old and New Testaments, as the inspired Word of God and the perfect rule for faith, doctrine and conduct. We rely upon the work of the Holy Spirit as revealed in Scripture. This church believes that baptism and communion are opportunities for obedience to the teaching of Jesus Christ. We also believe in the imminent return of Jesus Christ.
At River City Christian we often talk about having unity in the essentials and freedom in the non-essentials. We believe that the essentials are the belief that salvation is found in Jesus Christ and Him alone, and that the Bible is our authority. Beliefs beyond those two points are considered non-essentials. While we may hold specificc theological positions on a variety of issues, we believe that the only things that are truly necessary for our unity is faith in Jesus as the Savior of the world and in the Bible as the Word of God.
Pastor Jesse Smith
Congregational leadership is a team effort of the Senior Pastor and our Board of Elders. The elders are twelve men who possess a variety of natural talents and spiritual gifts. Decisions are made by reaching a consensus.
River City Christian believes that Jesus Christ is the head of the Church. The responsibility of the Elder Board is to seek His direction in overseeing, guiding and caring for the needs of the congregation. The duties of the Elder Board require that the following matters are handled with both spiritual competence and fiscal integrity:
- Working with the Senior Pastor to develop and protect the vision of our church.
- Recommending the annual budget to the congregation for approval.
- Interviewing and approving all applicants for church membership.
- Holding the Senior Pastor accountable for his job performance and his personal godliness, while acting as his close friends, confidants and supporters.
- Pursuing personal godliness through the study of God’s Word, prayer, development of a healthy family life, involvement in ministry and faithful worship with God’s people.
- Helping the church maintain a commitment to our purpose statement and our five core values.